Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Support Your Troops!!!!

Yesterday is a heart wrenching day for everyone. Today I read so many well written memorials that I managed to get myself all upset again. But today's upset is a more determined one. I want to help...not fight 'cause I would so suck at that. But supporting the troops that are overseas fighting. Not just those in the Middle East, I did some research and there are LOTS of troop deployments all over the world. Wars and peacekeeping missions that aren't under massive media coverage and get all but forgotten.

There are a lot of sites out there that send pakcages to troops overseas. The one I spent the most time on was AnySoldier.com They have links to lots of branches of the military. I tell you the Americans have TONS of sites to send suport to their troops. It was great to see

So far I haven't found a single one that sends care packages to CANADIAN troops. Are we as a country that lax is supporting the men and women wearing a red Maple Leaf. I hope I'm wrong about that, because I just feel sick about it. I have and Uncle in the Navy and I'll be emailing him to see if he knows of any sites.

That being said I did find one link. CFPSA Canadian Forces Personnel Support Agency. They don't have premade packages that can be ordered and mailed but what is stopping us from making a box up and sending it over?

I found a few addresses, packages can be addressed to "Any Canadian Soldier"

OP ARCHER - Afghanistan
OP ARCHER (5058)
Name / Rank
OP ARCHER
PO Box 5058 Stn Forces
Belleville ON K8N 5W6

OP BRONZE - Bosnia-Herzegovina
BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
Banja Luka
Name / Rank
*Unit / Section
PO Box 5000 Stn Forces
Belleville ON K8N 5W6

OP CALUMET - Sinai
OP CALUMET
Name/Rank/Initials
PO Box 5237 Stn Forces
Belleville ON K8N 5W6

OP JADE/OP PROTEUS - Jerusalem
OP JADE/OP PROTEUS (5239)
Rank/Name/Initials
Unit/Section
PO Box 5239 Stn Forces
Belleville ON K8N 5W6

All of this started when I read Joe Konrath's Blog and he wrote about sending books over to the troops. Such a simple idea and one that would be immensely appreciated I'm sure. I have a ton of old paperbacks in a box. So today I am boxing up a bunch of them and shipping one out to each of the address above.

No matter which country you live in SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!!

**NOTE~ After further reading I discovered that if you send a package to "Any Canadian Soldier" It can only contain letters or it will be returned. That sounds so stupid to me. I'm going to look into it further. Maybe if I wrote on the side what the box contains that would be ok; because I was thinking of tossing in some microwave popcorn and hard candies and other little treats for them. I'll let you know what I find out.

No comments: