Monday, October 24, 2005

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish






"The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy" has been on my reading list for almost 2 decades. One of those books that I keep meaning to read but never get around to for one reason or another. Even when the movie came out I refused to see it because I didn't to ruin the story for myself.

So when one of my co-workers came back from a trip to Europe raving about this book he read it just charged me up again and 42 thanks to Krys for handing the book over last Friday and letting me borrow it.

It has to be one of the most creative things I have ever read. I'm actually sitting in the lunchroom at work laughing out loud. Poor Arthur, the man is thrown into the most amazing adventure and it isn't till the last page when he finally passes the "What the Fuck!" stage and is able to deal with what is going on.

Can I name my favourite part of the book, yea sure the part between the front and back cover. LOL Now I'm sure many people might disagree with me, I mean it doesn't have the strongest plot, and it ends rather abruptly; but what creativity! The ideas that he comes up with and his discriptions make it easy to imagine the worlds he created.

According to the author it is a trilogy in 5 parts; I can't wait to get the rest of the books.



Douglas Adams 1952-2001

<strong>How should prospective writers go about becoming an author?
DA: First of all, realise that it's very hard, and that writing is a gruelling and lonely business and, unless you are extremely lucky, badly paid as well. You had better really, really, really want to do it. Next you have to write something. Unless you are committed to novel writing exclusively, I suggest that you start out writing for radio. It's still a relatively easy medium to get into because it pays so badly. But it is a great medium for writers because it relies so much on the imagination. You will learn a tremendous amount from it, and maybe get some useful exposure.
What qualities are needed by an author?
DA:A determination to keep at it.

No comments: