Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Samhain!!!



Yup that is me and my two munchkins. The 'not-so-evil' gypsy and the diva ghost. Both original ideas by my creative offspring. I love that hat, had to bend down a bit for the picture, I was afraid the top would get chopped off in the picture if I stood straight. It looks like an owl lives in the peak. The cape is purple velvet with a green satin lining that my mum made for me to wear the day I got married. Has an oversized hood as well, very medieval, I love it.



Trick or Treating was fun as it usually is. This is the one day that I find you get the best chance to meet your neighbors. And find out the houses you should avoid. Like the one that is around the corner that was handing out christian pamphlets with their candy. Something I will likely rant about another day but not today. I believe ending this year by bitching sets the wrong tone for the beginning of the next.

So my children have been banished to their rooms in hopes that they work off their sugar high by tormenting each other before they crash. Both walked for almost 1.5 hours tonight, before finally dragging their costumed butts home. Hubby and I tag teamed, I took them out first and he handed out candy for an hour then we switched.

As for me, as soon as the house quietens a bit then I will have a wee circle of my own.

Found an interesting page for the holiday on a celtic site, actually it was the 'Apple and the Mirror' I thought looked fun. Even witches like to play sometimes.

http://www.celticspirit.org/samhain.htm

I have a beautiful book called "The Celtic Spirit" by Caitlin Matthews. Bought it years ago, stuck it on my shelf, and that is where it has stayed. It's one of those books that has a page for ever day of the year. I've flipped through it a liked some of the things I've read but I think this is the year I'll read it. Don't know why, it just feels like it is time.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062515381/102-5899940-6616167?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

Found a Samhain ritual and I really like one of the blessings

"As the New Year is born, we are all reborn
With new hopes and dreams.
Guide me in the future as in the past.
Give me strength and courage,
Knowledge and fulfillment,
Assist me as I attempt to achieve my goals."

(http://www.wicca.com/celtic/akasha/samhainrit.htm)

It's a new year tomorrow, fuck what ever bad happened last year, time to let it go. I'm facing a 50,000 word challenge beginning at 12:00 tonight. I may stay up and write a couple paragraphs just for good luck.

Brightest Blessings everyone!!

No comments: