Saturday, July 14, 2007

Flashes of my childhood

Reading was a big part of my childhood. I loved books and read pretty much what ever I could get my hands on. From Nancy Drew to Trixie Belden and a few that were a bit advanced for me.

There was one...I must have been in grade 4 when I read it and completely blame my being slightly claustrophobic because of the story. It is about a woman being kidnapped and wakes up in a box, buried alive. Let me make it clear that it wasn't my mother's fault. (see, I got your back mum) I can't remember where I got my hands on a copy but I had almost all of it read before I was caught with it. Needless to say I was more careful after that in regards to stories I would read. I used to remember the title of that book, 72 hours or something like that. I'm kinda relieved that I have finally forgotten what it is. LOL



So in an attempt to help my daughter with her reading we went to Chapters today and I remember a series of books from when I was a kid. Choose Your Own Adventure Wouldn't you know it they are still in print! I was thrilled and while my oldest didn't seem to interested, Ryleigh plopped herself down and started reading one. She loved it.

I'm thrilled to see that she has inherited my love of books and I keep hoping that in time Teaghan's reading skills will improve to the point that she will enjoy them too.

On that note...only 5 days till the final Harry Potter book is out. Yes I am counting the days. I love those books too.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Yes, I do remember when you read that awful book!I just about had a fit.
I had forgotten "the choose your own adventure books" but your are right they are wonderful and I think I even read a couple *BG
Remember when I read, The Indian In The Cupboard, to all of you? Good memories.

FeyRhi said...

Just about? As I remember you did have a fit. You also asked me dozens of questions to see if I really understood what I was reading. Unfortunatly I did. I guess it must have been very well written if I still remember parts of it 27 years later.... or I was just that tramatized. Still better that you let me finish it and know that the chick was rescued in the end.

Mike remembers Indian more then I do, I remember you reading us "Lost in the Barrens" and a couple other of Farley Mowat's books.