Friday, March 07, 2008

Stupid Thing I have done #394

The short version is I squished myself between the delivery door and the tow motor at work. Hurting the left side of my rib cage in the process.

The extended version is: A tow motor is a big machine that we use to move skids of products. I was backing up to plug it in to recharge it and misjudged how close I was to the garage door. Now this guy does pretty much stop on a dime and has tons of safety features but flukes happen. I didn't get out of the way quick enough and the corner of the drive handle got shoved up under the left side of my rib cage.

I'm sure my height was my saving grace, I ended up on my tip toes before getting completely out of the way. Had I been shorter I could have been more seriously injured, or perhaps not at all because the handle would have moved up into the resting positing and never caught my rib cage in the first place.
It happened so fast that even my co worker who was looking right at me almost didn't see it. No skin broken but I had to go to the clinic to have them looked at because it happened at work.

Attilla the Hun came in and poked around, almost sending through the ceiling, then I was off for x-rays. Won't hear back till later today if I broke or cracked any ribs. most likely I have bruised all the muscle tissue. Hurts like a bitch.

It took 5 pillows before I found a comfortable position to get some sleep. I don't think I'll be going into work today. Can't sit comfortable and can't stand for too long. I might as well stay home and irritate the ones I love. LOL

5 comments:

Susan said...

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Now I know why you called me last night???? You must have been asleep when I called back to "speak to the oldest person in the house." I remember when I fell in the parking lot and the curb caught me right about there and cracked a rib. Hurts like a bitch in 3 acts. Mummy sends you a hug *gently. You know what Grampy would have said * Sue the bastards* ..oh you were driving ..hmmm, that won't work. Don't laugh! it hurts too much. Well I remember it. My word verification is "chkrkk" probably what you said at the time....

Unknown said...

*blink* this is why i stay away from large machinery!! I hope you heal fast, sweetie! OUCH! *shudder*

HUGS
Mari

Anonymous said...

OWIE!!!

*Handing you a pillow and an ice pack* Chica, take care of yourself.

Do I need to ban you and Peety from power tools?

FeyRhi said...

((Mummy)) I got hurt! Come kiss it better.

((Marissa)) It was such a stupid mistake. I've been using tow motors like this for 7 years and never had a problem. It's so embarassing. The thing is if I had stayed put and let it back into the middle of my chest, the safety trigger would have caused the machine to lurch forward away from me and I never would have been hurt.

I can't think of anyone who would willingly let a 1 ton machine hit them in chest, instincts kicked in and I was moving before the thought entered my mind.

((Paxa)) I feel a kinda comraderie with your hubby right now LOL

Mechele Armstrong said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwww. You poor thing. (Hugs) I hope it's better.