Thursday, August 13, 2009

It's been awhile....

I'd use the excuse that it's summer but really this week is the first that actually feels like my favourite season. Hot, Humid, Sticky, Yeah baby bring it on!. Winter is way too long in this country so I welcome the sun with open arms.

It feels as though I have been trapped under a mountin of things that need to be done and I never have enough time. Really who wants to hear me complain about all that anyways. I actually have something to talk about.

Today was our second appointment at McMaster Children's Hospital and after 3 hours of testing we recieved the official diagnosis. My Fey Princess has Asperger's Syndrome. Not a big shock since we have suspected this for a very long time. To be honest I didn't want an official diagnosis. My fear being that some jerk will tell her she can't do something. I never want her not to try because she has Aspergers.
BUT (and it's a big BUT)
I can't get her the help she NEEDS from the school board, without the diagnosis. Hello Mr Rock and Mr Hardplace. She is going into highschool in a few years and without any extra help she will quicky fall through the cracks and be lost. That's a risk I'm not willing to take.

We spoke to her about it and while she doesn't completely understand what it is, she is happy to hear that she will get more help in school and that she isn't the only person.


Famous Aspergerians

Albert Einstein, Alan Turing
Al Gore, Andy Kaufman
Andy Warhol, Bill Gates
Bob Dylan, Carl Jung
Hans Asperger, Henry Ford
Isaac Asimov, Isaac Newton
Jane Austen, Mark Twain
Michael Palin, Mozart (could be ADHD instead)
Nikola Tesla, Thomas Jefferson
Vincent Van Gogh, Woody Allen

Aspergers characters in film and TV series:

Commander Data from Star Trek Next Generation
Mr Spock from Star Trek Original Series
Rodney McKay from Stargate Atlantis
Seven-of-Nine from Star Trek Voyager
Chauncy Gardener, played by Peter Sellers in Being There is a particularly good portrayal
Jerry Espenson from Boston Legal (and also possibly Tourette Syndrome)

1 comment:

Mechele Armstrong said...

I know it's hard sometimes knowing but at least you do know. And you moved out of the rock and hard place.

And I hear you on being trapped under a mountain of things to do and feeling you never have enough time.