Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sunday morning baking


I've been trying to get in the habit of baking something every Sunday. I used to bake all the time when I first got married, and before that, but after the girls were born it just seemed like there wasn't enough time. My husband has mentioned a few times how much he misses it....(well one more time and I'd refer to it as nagging)

So today, after our "way too early" morning Gymnastics practice with our youngest. I decided to make a batch of Chelsea buns.
Grease the pan and set aside for later......
450 F 12-15 min.......just watch them sugar burns!

2 cups all purpose flour
4.5 teaspoons Baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons shortening
1 cup milk
Mix the dry
Blend in the shortening
Add the milk

Dump onto a well floured surface Mold into a ball, roll out slather with marg, lots of brown sugar and cinnamon out to the edges...raisins....slurp

Roll em out
cut em up

One batch will fit an 8" round cake tin you should get about 6 buns

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sounds easy right?... Well it is. My mum has made them a hundred thousand times and I have made them hundreds of times. Although I will admit it's been ages since I made any.
I've been cleaning like a mad woman knowing that my reward when I took a break was going to be a nice cuppa and a bun.

My moment arrived, I finally sat and broke off a piece anticipating ambrosia in the form of brown sugar, cinnamon and raisens.

WTFBBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I don't know what I was thinking, but I put in 4.5t of Baking SODA!!!!!!!

Fuck.
Hubby has gone out and now I have to whip up a fresh batch before he gets home. Because I am not about to admit what I just did.
Another thing, the taste of soda does not leave the back of your throat for a very long time.

3 comments:

Granny's Girls said...

oh gag, that is awful. Is the picture the first batch or the second?? they LOOK yummy.....*snicker
please change the recipie to 8 not 6 buns, thanks.
You could drizzle a little icing on the top or would that be gilding the lily?

FeyRhi said...

The picture is one I swiped off the internet LOL.

The first batch looked absoutly incredible, which made the taste all the more horrifying.

The second batch turned into a double batch....I was more tired then I thoguth because I was talking to one of the girls and put in 2 cups of milk. After much internal swearing (when I realized the batter was much too runny) I added all the necessary dry ingred.

Chris came home in the middle of it all. I just simply said I messed up the first batch. When he asked what happened I changed the subject. LOL

Granny's Girls said...

In times like this I think you should toss the mistake and try something else later, or run to the store buy them and arrange on a plate (no one will know).
Luv your Sister